Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Truth Comes Out...

Friday Night Movie & Pizza Night has been a tradition in our family for the past few years (although we haven't been particularly consistent with the movie portion of it recently). However, last night we watched Rise of the Guardians. Earlier this week I had bought Honey Nut Cheerios with free Rise of the Guardians books in them for Carson to read, and both he and Davis took an interest in the books. I figured I'd rent the movie for us to watch since they were so interested in the books (and I had tried to read the books to the boys, but had no idea what was going on, so definitely needed some background from the movie). All in all, the movie was pretty good. I had heard that it was a little scary, and it was. The villain was a little dark and Davis was a little nervous at times, but both boys liked it. The basic story line is that the villain 'Pitch' is extinguishing the hopes, dreams, wonders, memories and fun of children around the world by introducing nightmares. The Guardians are Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, the Toothfairy, the Sandman, and newly introduced guardian: Jack Frost. The Guardians fight Pitch and his nightmares while trying to keep themselves from dying as children's faith in them falters. Of course in the end, the Guardians fight Pitch and with the help of some kids, destroy the nightmares.

Well, here's the conversation at bedtime:

Davis: "So is the Easter Bunny real?"
Me: "No."
Davis: "So who hides the eggs?"
Me: "I do."
Carson: "What!?!" (BIG grin on his face.) "When do you do it? Do you get up really early? Wait a minute, what about Santa Clause?"
My thoughts: "Uh-oh. Didn't see that one coming."
Me: "Uhh, well, come here, Carson."
Richard: "You should take him out in the hall."

I took Carson out into the hall and we had the talk. I told him that Richard and I actually buy the presents and that we stay up late on Christmas Eve to set up. Carson was grinning the whole time I was talking to him. He actually thought it was so cool to be part of the "Big Secret". I told him he couldn't tell his little brothers or other little kids. I'm just grateful that it wasn't a traumatic experience for him!

No comments: